Portuguese Cod Fritters Recipe
Posted in: Appetizers
Feb 12, 2016
4 out of 5 with 13 ratings
2 cups of milk4 potatoes, chopped1 onion, finely chopped4 garlic cloves, minced1 pound of salted cod1 tablespoon of parsley, finely chopped1 tablespoon of cilantro, finely chopped2 eggsSalt and pepper to taste1 cup of vegetable oil, for frying2 lemons, sliced thinly1/2 cup of black olives for garnishGet these ingredients now
- Soak the dried cod in cold water for a day, changing the water 3-4 times.
- Drain the cod, rinse, and put it in a large pot. Add the milk and enough water to cover an inch.
- Simmer gently over medium-low heat for 20 to 25 minutes, until the cod is tender.
- Drain and rinse the cod well, removing any little bits of skin and bone.
- While the cod is cooking, pour 1-inch of water in a large pot.
- Add the potatoes and simmer on medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes until very tender.
- Drain the potatoes, peel off the skins, and mash them well with a potato masher.
- In a bowl, add the cod to the potatoes, along with the onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro, and eggs.
- Beat the mixture firmly with a spoon until it is a smooth and even consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Shape the cod mixture into medium sized cylinder shaped pieces.
- Pour the oil in a deep heavy skillet or pot and place it on high heat.
- Add the pieces one by one, turning them over until they are golden brown.
- Once done remove the pieces and place them on a plate with paper towels to dry.
- Serve while hot with the sliced lemons for extra flavor.