Portuguese Cod Fritters Recipe
- Soak the dried cod in cold water for a day, changing the water 3-4 times.
- Drain the cod, rinse, and put it in a large pot. Add the milk and enough water to cover an inch.
- Simmer gently over medium-low heat for 20 to 25 minutes, until the cod is tender.
- Drain and rinse the cod well, removing any little bits of skin and bone.
- While the cod is cooking, pour 1-inch of water in a large pot.
- Add the potatoes and simmer on medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes until very tender.
- Drain the potatoes, peel off the skins, and mash them well with a potato masher.
- In a bowl, add the cod to the potatoes, along with the onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro, and eggs.
- Beat the mixture firmly with a spoon until it is a smooth and even consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Shape the cod mixture into medium sized cylinder shaped pieces.
- Pour the oil in a deep heavy skillet or pot and place it on high heat.
- Add the pieces one by one, turning them over until they are golden brown.
- Once done remove the pieces and place them on a plate with paper towels to dry.
- Serve while hot with the sliced lemons for extra flavor.
You Might Also Like These