Portuguese Horse Mackerel with Rice Recipe
Posted in: Seafood RecipesWed, Feb 24, 2016
5 out of 5 with 5 ratings
Views: 23413 - Comments 0
1/2 lb of horse mackerel1 large onion3 garlic cloves2 tomatoes 1 branch of coriander1 cup of rice1 bay leafOlive oil (to taste)Pepper (to taste)Salt (to taste)Corn flour (to taste)Lemon (to taste) Get Portuguese ingredients
- Begin by cleaning and preparing the mackerel, if they are not clean, begin by taking the guts, you can remove the head or leave it, rinse and season with plenty of coarse salt and leave aside, you do this to season it.
- After at least two hours, shake off the excess salt from mackerel, scrub them with a paper towel so they become completely dry, then pass them through the corn flour and fry them in plenty of olive oil with a peeled garlic clove in the pan, fry them until they are golden brown than remove them and leave to drain on paper towels.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add some oil, the finely chopped onion and 2 finely chopped garlic cloves, followed by the bay leaf, sauté until onion is transparent.
- Remove the skin from the tomato, then cut into cubes, leaving the seeds, place the tomatoes in the pan followed by the chopped coriander (leave some aside), and let it cook a little more.
- Add the rice and let it absorb the liquid in the pan, then pour 2 hot water cups, followed by a little salt and let the rice cook, when it is close to being ready, taste it and add/adjust salt and pepper to your liking, add remaining coriander and serve with the mackerel with lemon wedges to garnish.
Tip: You can use a can of peeled tomatoes instead of regular tomatoes.
Recipe & Photo Credit: iguaria.com