Portuguese Pot Roast Recipe
Posted in: Beef
Mar 2, 2016
3 out of 5 with 57 ratings
4 to 5 lb beef bottom round roast1 large onion, sliced4 cloves garlic, minced2 dried bay leaves1 tsp of paprikaSalt and pepper to tasteOlive oil1 cup of beer or red wine1 cup of water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the onions in the center of a 13" x 9" Pyrex baking dish and place the roast on top of the onions, with the fat facing up.
- Pour the beer over the roast.
- Mix together the salt and pepper, then rub it over the roast and sprinkle the roast with paprika. Sprinkle the minced garlic over the roast.
- Place one bay leaf underneath the roast and one bay leaf on top.
- Drizzle the roast with olive oil.
- Add the water to the bottom of the baking dish.
- Place the roast on the center rack uncover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Then reduce the oven temp to 350 degrees F and bake uncovered for 2 and 1/2 hours.
- If pan juices evaporate completely during baking add a little more water to the pan.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm with pan juices poured over each slice.