Portuguese Fried Pumpkin Dreams Recipe
Posted in: Snacks
Mar 2, 2016
4 out of 5 with 42 ratings
6 pounds of pumpkin (you can use butternut squash as well)3 cups of water1/4 cup of rum1 teaspoon of salt1 cup of flour1/4 cup of sugar1 teaspoon of baking powder2 cups of oil for frying2 tablespoons of cinnamon powder2 tablespoons of sugar
- De-skin and de-seed the pumpkin (or squash).
- In a saucepan cook the pumpkin with the water and salt.
- Once the pumpkin is soft and tender, remove the pumpkin and let it strain most of its liquid. If you have a cheese cloth it is best for straining the liquid. If not use a regular strainer. This should take 3-4 hours.
- In a blender, add the pumpkin, rum, and sugar and blend it until it is a smooth and even consistency.
- Once done, pour it into a bowl and add the flour and mix it in well.
- Use a tablespoon and begin to knead the dough into balls for frying. If the dough does not have a strong enough consistency, add some more flour and knead it in accordingly.
- Pour a one inch layer of oil into a frying pan and begin frying the balls. Usually it takes about 1-2 minutes on both sides until they are golden brown.
- Fry them individually until they are golden brown, then set aside on paper towels to dry.
- Once they are all done and fried, sprinkle the fried cakes with sugar and cinnamon.
You Might Also Like These