Portuguese Kale & White Bean Soup Recipe
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Posted in: Soups / Stews
Apr 8, 2016
4 out of 5 with 16 ratings
1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomatoes2 tablespoons olive oil1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions2 garlic cloves coarsely chopped2 teaspoons salt2 teaspoons ground fennel seeds1 small fennel bulb, diced (about 2 cups)1 cup diced carrots1 1⁄2 cups diced potatoes2 teaspoons dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or one 15-ounce can diced tomatoes3 cups cooked white beans (two 15-ounce cans drained)4 cups water or vegetable stock5 or 6 cups loosely packed chopped kale3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a small bowl, soak the sun-dried tomatoes in boiling water to cover.
- In a covered soup pot on medium-low heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onions, garlic, and salt and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground fennel and diced fennel bulb and cook for about 3 minutes. Stir in the carrots, potatoes, thyme, and black pepper and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, and water or stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are just tender. If the soup is too thick, add another cup of water.
- Meanwhile, remove the sun-dried tomatoes from the soaking liquid and coarsely chop.
- Add the kale and sun- dried tomatoes to the pot. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until the kale is tender. Stir in the lemon juice. Season with more salt and black pepper to taste.
You Might Also Like These