Portuguese Black Pudding (Morcela) Recipe
Posted in: Pork RecipesSat, Apr 16, 2016
4 out of 5 with 2 ratings
1 and 3/4 pints of pork blood (or the blood from lamb or goose)12 ounces of suet, shredded1 cup of milk2 ounces of oatmeal3 medium onions, peeled and chopped1 tablespoon of salt1/2 teaspoon of mixed herbs1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper1 pinch of nutmeg * Get Portuguese ingredients & stuff
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Assemble meat grinder and prepare the casings: Choose long pieces of the casings so that you have more control over the size of the links that you wish to make.
- Soak the casings in cool water about 5 minutes (more soaking will make the casings very tender and prone to bursting) about an hour in advance of stuffing to remove the salt on the outer surface.
- Rinse under cool running water.
- To remove excess salt from the inside, hold one end of a casing in place on a faucet nozzle and turn on cold tap water to fill the casing with liquid.
- If you spot any holes in the casing at this time, discard or cut the damaged bit off.
- Remove from faucet and squeeze out water; cover the rinsed and drained casings and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Mix all of the ingredients together thoroughly, making sure that the seasonings are evenly distributed.
- Fill the casings and make links by twisting the sausage two or three turns at the points where you wish them to be (a 4-inch link is a good snack or lunch size, but smaller ones make good hors d’oeuvres).
- Place into an ovenproof dish with a cover, standing in a larger dish half filled with water.
- Bake for 1½ hours and allow to cool.
Like this Recipe? Leave a comment!