How to make a Portuguese house steak with egg (bife a casa).
2 (8oz) sirloin steaks (½ or 1 inch thick) 4 cloves garlic (sliced)SaltPepper2 eggs 1 tablespoon olive oil 4 or 6 small potatoes (peeled and sliced into ¼ inch slices or regular cuts) Oil for frying potatoes 2 tablespoons of butterWine reduction: 2 tablespoons olive oil 2 tablespoons of butter½ cup red wineSteak sauce: Click here for the recipeGet Portuguese ingredients & stuff
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper and let marinade overnight or for at least 1 hour. Fry potatoes in hot oil, drain, and season with salt and keep warm in the oven.
- Cook steaks with the garlic in hot skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil for 3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and add wine reduction ingredients. Cook the reduction until reduced by half.
- Place the steaks back in the pan on low heat with the reduction.
- Meanwhile, fry 2 eggs sunny side up in a separate small nonstick skillet with the 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Heat a large serving plate in the oven. Place steak in the center of the plate surrounded by the home fries.
- Place one egg on top of each steak. Pour sauce from the pan over the steak and eggs. Season with more salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley if desired.
- This dish is usually served with a serving of Portuguese rice as well, but optional.
- Click here for the recipe for the steak sauce.
Please Leave a Comment
I have same Q as Jason. Underneath wine reduction it states 3 ingredients, olive oil, butter & wine. Is this the reduction ingredient? It’s just that in the method section ‘the butter’ is used to fry the eggs!? Please can you clarify the reduction ingredients. Apologies if Q seems daft, I’m novice cook. Thank you
8 Months ago, Friday, November 19, 2021
You mention "wine reduction ingredients" but give no mention as to what said ingredients are. Are we just talking deglazing the pan with red wine and allowing it to reduce? Or have i missed something? Thank you!
8 Months ago, Wednesday, November 10, 2021