Portuguese House Steak (Bife a Casa) Recipe
Posted in: BeefMon, Apr 18, 2016
5 out of 5 with 108 ratings
Views: 212841 - Comments 6
Portuguese steak, also known as "bife à casa" in Portuguese, is a popular dish in Portuguese cuisine. It typically consists of a thin beef steak that is seasoned with garlic, salt, and pepper, then pan-fried or grilled until cooked to the desired doneness.
The steak is often served with a fried egg on top and accompanied by Portuguese fries and a salad. Some variations of the dish may also include a spicy sauce made with red pepper paste, olive oil, and vinegar.
Overall, Portuguese steak is a delicious and hearty dish that is a staple in many Portuguese restaurants and households.
2 (8oz) sirloin steaks (½ or 1 inch thick) 4 cloves garlic (sliced)Salt (to taste)Pepper2 eggs (to taste) 1 tablespoon olive oil 4 or 6 small potatoes (peeled and sliced into ¼ inch slices or regular cuts) Oil for frying potatoes 2 tablespoons of butterWine reduction: 2 tablespoons olive oil 2 tablespoons of butter½ cup red wineSteak sauce: Click here for the recipe Get Portuguese ingredients
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper and let marinade overnight or for at least 1 hour. Fry potatoes in hot oil, drain, and season with salt and keep warm in the oven.
- Cook steaks with the garlic in hot skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil for 3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and add wine reduction ingredients. Cook the reduction until reduced by half.
- Place the steaks back in the pan on low heat with the reduction.
- Meanwhile, fry 2 eggs sunny side up in a separate small nonstick skillet with the 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Heat a large serving plate in the oven. Place steak in the center of the plate surrounded by the home fries.
- Place one egg on top of each steak. Pour sauce from the pan over the steak and eggs. Season with more salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley if desired.
- This dish is usually served with a serving of Portuguese rice as well, but optional.
- Click here for the recipe for the steak sauce.
Recipe & Photo Credit: Tia Maria's Blog, portuguesediner.com/tiamaria
Christine Viveiros - 4 Months ago
Do we serve the steak sauce on the bottom of the ingredient list on the side or as a substitute to the wine reduction that’s poured over top. Recipe looks great! Can’t wait to try it tomorrow
[reply] (+1) (-0)
That is entirely up to the person Christine, I like it over the steak myself.
4 Months ago (+1) (-0)
Gail - 2 Years ago
I have same Q as Jason. Underneath wine reduction it states 3 ingredients, olive oil, butter & wine. Is this the reduction ingredient? It’s just that in the method section ‘the butter’ is used to fry the eggs!? Please can you clarify the reduction ingredients. Apologies if Q seems daft, I’m novice cook. Thank you
Jason - 2 Years ago
You mention "wine reduction ingredients" but give no mention as to what said ingredients are. Are we just talking deglazing the pan with red wine and allowing it to reduce? Or have i missed something? Thank you!
Hi Jason, the wine reduction ingredients are on the ingredients list, please look again.
2 Years ago