Portuguese Steak & Egg Recipe
Posted in: Beef
Apr 18, 2016
4 out of 5 with 55 ratings
2 (8oz) sirloin steaks (½ or 1 inch thick) 4 cloves garlic (sliced)SaltPepper2 eggs 1 tablespoon olive oil 4 or 6 small potatoes (peeled and sliced into ¼ inch slices or regular cuts) Oil for frying potatoesWine reduction: 2 tablespoons olive oil 2 tablespoons of butter½ cup red wine
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper and let marinade overnight or for at least 1 hour. Fry potatoes in hot oil, drain, and season with salt and keep warm in the oven.
- Cook steaks with the garlic in hot skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil for 3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and add wine reduction ingredients. Cook the reduction until reduced by half.
- Place the steaks back in the pan on low heat with the reduction.
- Meanwhile, fry 2 eggs sunny side up in a separate small nonstick skillet with the 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Heat a large serving plate in the oven. Place steak in the center of the plate surrounded by the home fries.
- Place one egg on top of each steak. Pour sauce from the pan over the steak and eggs. Season with more salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley if desired.
- This dish is usually served with a serving of Portuguese rice as well, but optional.