How to make Portuguese codfish bread soup (Açorda de Bacalhau).
1.5 pounds desalted cod fish1/2 pound chopped crusty bread1/2 cup Portuguese olive oil2 cups water1 onion, chopped6 garlic cloves, chopped1/2 cup chopped olives4 eggs2 bay leavessalt and pepper to taste1 teaspoon cilantro for garnishGet Portuguese ingredients & stuff
- Prepare the cod by soaking it in a bowl of cold water for at least 12 hours, changing the water three times every 4 to 6 hours.
- Once the cod is ready, add it to a saucepan with 2 cups water on medium heat. Let it cook until the cod fish is cooked and well softened.
- Then remove the cod fish from the pan and place it in a bowl. Now remove the skin and bones and break the codfish apart into small pieces.
- In the sauce pan with the cooking water, add the bread to soak it. Once the bread has softened a bit, remove it and place it in the bowl alongside the cod fish pieces.
- Saute the chopped onions, garlic, and bay leaf in a large frying pan with the olive oil on medium heat.
- Once slightly browned, add the cod fish, bread, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir it well as it cooks.
- As it cooks, poach the four eggs in a saucepan with water.
- Once done poaching the eggs, place them on top of the pan with the codfish.
- Now garnish with the chopped cilantro and remove the pan from the heat. Serve in the pan immediately while hot.
Like this Recipe? Leave a comment!
There are no comments for this recipe.