How to make Portuguese codfish bread soup (Açorda de Bacalhau).
|Preparation time||10 min|
|Cooking Time||40 min|
|Ready In||50 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
1.5 pounds desalted cod fish1/2 pound chopped crusty bread1/2 cup Portuguese olive oil2 cups water1 onion, chopped6 garlic cloves, chopped1/2 cup chopped olives4 eggs2 bay leavessalt and pepper to taste1 teaspoon cilantro for garnish Get Portuguese ingredients
- Prepare the cod by soaking it in a bowl of cold water for at least 12 hours, changing the water three times every 4 to 6 hours.
- Once the cod is ready, add it to a saucepan with 2 cups water on medium heat. Let it cook until the cod fish is cooked and well softened.
- Then remove the cod fish from the pan and place it in a bowl. Now remove the skin and bones and break the codfish apart into small pieces.
- In the sauce pan with the cooking water, add the bread to soak it. Once the bread has softened a bit, remove it and place it in the bowl alongside the cod fish pieces.
- Saute the chopped onions, garlic, and bay leaf in a large frying pan with the olive oil on medium heat.
- Once slightly browned, add the cod fish, bread, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir it well as it cooks.
- As it cooks, poach the four eggs in a saucepan with water.
- Once done poaching the eggs, place them on top of the pan with the codfish.
- Now garnish with the chopped cilantro and remove the pan from the heat. Serve in the pan immediately while hot.
There are no comments for this recipe.
You might also like:
Portugal is one of the safest and expat-friendly country in Europe. If you are thinking of moving to Portugal, there are some fantastic locations to live or retire.
How they make canned sardines in Portugal. Canned sardines are a delicacy in Portugal. The country has a long fish-canning tradition, to the point that the sardine has become a national icon.
Watch this video to learn how to make Portuguese fried fava beans step by step with Nancy.