Portuguese Apple Fritters Recipe
Posted in: Desserts
May 31, 2016
5 out of 5 with 1 ratings
3 apples, such as Golden Delicious or Gala3 tbsp castor sugar60ml Anise del Mono or Sambuca2 eggs½ cup castor sugar½ cup milk¼ cup extra virgin olive oil¼ tsp ground cinnamon1½ cups plain flour1½ tsp baking powdervegetable oil for frying Get Portuguese ingredients & stuff This site uses US measurements.
- Peel, core and thinly slice apples in rounds of about 3mm. Sprinkle with sugar and pour over the anise liqueur. Toss and allow to stand for 1 hour.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs, sugar, milk, olive oil and cinnamon. Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix until combined. Leave to stand for 30 minutes. The mixture should then be a thick batter - if too thick adjust with a little more milk.
- In a frying pan, heat enough oil to shallow-fry the apples. When the oil is very hot, dip the apple slices, one at a time, into the batter, remove and gently slide into the hot oil. Cook a few at a time, until puffed and golden brown, turning once.
- Drain on paper towels and dust with icing sugar.
- To serve
- Arrange on a platter and serve immediately with either whipped cream or ice-cream (or you can just eat them as is, which is the way I love them).