Portuguese Suckling Pig Recipe
Posted in: Pork RecipesWed, Jul 6, 2016
5 out of 5 with 1 ratings
1 whole suckling pig (10-15 lbs), washed and cleaned4 ounces salted butterOregano, to tasteSea salt, to taste6 garlic cloves, crushedGround black pepper, to taste1 laurel leaf1 cup white wine * Get Portuguese ingredients & stuff
- Melt butter.
- Mix in oregano, salt, crushed garlic and pepper. Rub butter mixture over and inside the suckling pig. Wrap marinated suckling pig in triple-bagged plastic bag and refrigerate. Let marinate for at least 5 hours.
- Bring marinated pig to room temperature. Heat oven to 250°F. Remove pig from plastic bag, place stomach-down in oven pan on a rack.
- Place laurel leaf inside pig. Drizzle with white wine. Roast until pig reaches 130°F (test with cooking thermometer – likely to be a couple of hours depending on the size of your pig).
- Make sure you flip the pig onto its backside about halfway through. Baste every 20-25 minutes.
- When the pig reaches 130°F, turn up the heat to 400°F to get a crispy exterior, making sure you turn the pig once to distribute the crispiness.
- Tip: If the pig is browning too quickly, cover it with aluminum foil to protect against burning.
- Internal temp should reach 160°F. Remove from oven and let cool on cutting board.
- Serve with a bottle of your favorite wine or a bottle of (dry) sparkling wine.
Like this Recipe? Leave a comment!