Portuguese Beef Skewers (Espetada) Recipe
Posted in: Beef
Jul 25, 2016
3 out of 5 with 3 ratings
1½ lbs beef sirloin, cubed into 26 garlic cloves, minced12 bay leaves, crushed ½ tsp ground black pepper ¼ c Madeira wine 2 Tbsp olive oil 3 small, firm Roma tomatoes, halved 2 green pepper, halved and seeded 2 tsp salt Get these ingredients & more
- In a small bowl, mix together minced garlic, crushed bay, and black pepper. Rub the beef chunks with the mixture and place them in a flat baking dish or ziploc bag.
- In another small bowl, mix together the Madeira wine and olive oil. Pour the wine mixture over the beef cube, making sure they are well coated.
- Place the beef in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- When you are ready to cook your beef, preheat your grill to medium high heat. (You should be able to hold your hand over the cooking grate for approximately 5 seconds.)
- Place the beef chunks on soaked, sturdy, wooden skewers (or metal skewers if you have them), interspersed with the tomato and green pepper halves.
- Sprinkle the beef and vegetables with salt. Grill the meat for 3-5 minutes.
- Flip the skewers and grill for an additional 3-5 minutes, until the beef is just starting to become firm.
- Remove the skewers from the grill to a platter.
- Cover the skewers with aluminum foil and let them stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve the skewers on a bed of crusty bread, drizzled with any juices that pooled in the platter as they rested.