Portuguese Chicken Dinner Recipe
Posted in: ChickenTue, Jul 26, 2016
4 out of 5 with 3 ratings
Views: 14225 - Comments 0
Make this delicious Portuguese style chicken dinner in less than a hour.
|Preparation time||15 min|
|Cooking Time||40 min|
|Ready In||55 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
2 small (about 550g each) fresh or frozen thawed chickens80ml (1/3 cup) fresh lemon juice60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil2 tablespoons sweet paprika2 tablespoons dried oregano4 garlic cloves, crushed1 long fresh red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped1 teaspoon salt Freshly ground black pepperLemon wedges, to serveSalad:1 x 250g pkt red grape tomatoes, washed, halved1 Cucumber, halved lengthways, thinly sliced1/2 red onion, thinly sliced1/2 cup drained pitted kalamata olives2 tablespoons olive oil1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice1 teaspoon dried oreganoSalt & freshly ground black pepper Get Portuguese ingredients
- Place 1 chicken, breast-side down, on a clean work surface. Use kitchen scissors or poultry shears to cut down both sides of backbone and discard. Turn chicken, breast-side up, and push down to flatten. Tuck wings under. Pat dry with paper towel. Repeat with remaining chicken. Use a knife to make several 5mm deep and 4cm long cuts into chicken meat. Place in a glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Combine the lemon juice, oil, paprika, oregano, garlic, chilli and salt in a bowl. Season with pepper. Pour over the chicken and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 6 hours to develop the flavours.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place chicken and marinade in a roasting pan. Roast in oven, basting occasionally with pan juices, for 40 minutes or until brown and juices run clean when chicken is pierced with a skewer. Remove from oven and cover with foil. Set aside for 5 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, to make the salad, place the tomato, cucumber, onion and olives in a bowl. Place oil, lemon juice and oregano in a screw-top jar and shake to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over salad and toss to combine.
- Cut each chicken in half and serve with lemon wedges and salad.
Recipe & Photo Credit: Sarah Hobbs
Member since Oct 1, 2015