Portuguese Clams with Chouriço Recipe
Posted in: Fish / Seafood
Fri, Aug 5, 2016, 20:20, 2 Years ago
3 out of 5 with 9 ratings
2 tablespoons olive oil½ pound chouriço, sliced1 small yellow onion, chopped5 cloves of garlic cut into thin slices1 can diced tomatoes (14½-oz)2 dozen clams½-cup dry white wine¼-cup cilantro, dividedCrusty, toasted bread, for garnish
Get these Ingredients at Amazon.com
- Three hours before cooking, soak the clams in cold water with a pinch of salt to clean out any sand. Change the water every hour (at least 2 times) or until the bowl has no sand residue in the bottom.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium-sized pot, dutch oven, or wok. Add chorizo and cook until oil starts to turn red, approximately 2 minutes. Add onion and garlic, and cook until the onion softens, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the clams and pour in the wine. Bring the liquid to a simmer and cover the pot.
- Simmer until the clams open, approximately 6-8 minutes. (If any of the clams do not open, toss them out). Remove the clams to a serving bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce the remaining liquid by half, then pour over the clams.
- Garnish with remaining cilantro and serve with crusty, toasted country bread.