Portuguese Pot Roast (Alcatra) Recipe
Posted in: Beef
Aug 14, 2016
3 out of 5 with 36 ratings
1/2 lb bacon, cut into small pieces1 large onion, diced1/2 stick butter2 bay leaves1 tablespoon whole allspice1/4 teaspoon cinnamon5 whole cloves16 peppercorns4 cloves garlic, minced2 tablespoons tomato paste2 teaspoons salt1 teaspoon pepper5 pound chuck roast, or rump roast2 cups red wine2 cups water1 large ceramic pot, if you have one, use a Portuguese ceramic pot called an alguidar de barro (If you don’t have a ceramic pot you can also use a large stock pot) Get these ingredients & more
- Grease the inside lining of the pot with the half stick of butter.
- In a small bowl cut the rump roast into medium sized cubes and spread the salt and pepper over them evenly.
- Place the roast cubes in the greased pot.
- Now add the onion, bay leaves, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, garlic, bacon and tomato paste.
- Cover the pot with the wine and water. Mix the ingredients together well.
- Cover the pot with foil; and place in the oven at 390 degrees Fahrenheit for about 4 hours.
- At the 4 hour mark turn the heat down to 310 degrees Fahrenheit, flip over the roast and mix the ingredients a bit. Continue to cook another 4 hours.
- Once done, remove from the oven and let it cool down for about 10-15 minutes.