Portuguese Salt Cod Omelette Recipe
Posted in: Breakfast RecipesThu, Sep 8, 2016
4 out of 5 with 14 ratings
Views: 18057 - Comments 0
Dry salted cod (palm sized portion)4 EggsHalf an onion (chopped)Chopped fresh parsleyGround black pepperOlive oil Get Portuguese ingredients
- Salt cod arrives in the form of dehydrated fish jerky preserved in a layer of salt, it requires reconstituting before cooking.
- Cut out a portion (the rest can be refrigerated or stored in any dry place practically forever) and rinse away as much salt off the fish as you can under some cold water.
- Then submerge it in clean water overnight, for at least eight hours, at room temperature – repeated rinsing and changing the water to remove more salt if desired. Be careful of pointed fish bones and fins when handling.
- Drain the softened salt cod and pat dry with a towel.
- Peel away all skin and rinse off any scales that are removed in the process.
- Debone the fish by hand and break the meat it into small bite-sized chunks. Squeeze out any excess water from the chunks of cod and place them in a bowl.
- Thinly slice half an onion and caramelize with olive oil over medium heat. Remove caramelized onions from the skillet. Add more olive oil to the hot skillet and pour in your beaten eggs.
- When the eggs begin to solidify add on the caramelized onions and salt cod, making sure to spread them out across the omelette.
- Sprinkle finely chopped parsley and pepper to taste over everything as the omelette finishes cooking.
Recipe & Photo Credit: babyhedgehogs.wordpress.com