Portuguese Stone Soup Recipe
- Soak the beans overnight until they swell.
- The next day wash the shin of beef and the sausages and bring to a boil in water and salt.
- Clean the pig's feet well, boil with the spare ribs in a separate pot and when cooked leave in the cooking liquid.
- The meats are cooked separately because the beef needs longer than the pork. When the shin and sausages are boiling remove the sausages to avoid splitting them, simmer the beef until it is tender. Keep the sausages to one side and allow them to cool.
- When all the meats are cooked combine them with the beans in a single large pot. Cover with half the pork cooking liquid and half the beef cooking liquid add the cauliflower, carrots, onion, minced garlic, and the potatoes cut into chunks. When the vegetables are boiling together with the meats and beans turn down the heat let the soup simmer until the all vegetables are cooked, rectify the salt and pepper.
- When nearly ready to serve remove from the meat and cut up the pork and the beef. Slice the chourico, the morcela, and the bacon, reserve the farinheira.
- Put the meats back in the pan turn up the heat and as soon as it boils again, add the sausages and bacon, serve straightaway.
- The farinheira is put in last and you should only put it in now when heating the soup, season with coriander and mint.
- For authenticity, serve in a round stone bowl, previously well washed.
You Might Also Like These