Milho Frito is one of the most signature and traditional dishes in Madeiran cuisine. They are deep fried cornmeal based treats filled with kale or collard greens and other typical seasonings.
|Ready In||2 h 55 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
1 cup white corn meal4 garlic cloves, minced1 cube chicken bouillon dissolved in water4 kale or collard greens leaves, minced2 tablespoons olive oil2 teaspoons salt4 cups waterVegetable oil for frying Get Portuguese ingredients
- In a saucepan on high heat, add the garlic and olive oil.
- Let it cook for a minute and then add the water, chicken broth, and corn meal. Mix until the corn meal is totally dissolved.
- Add the salt and kale or collard greens and stir consistently until the water is boiling.
- Turn the heat to low and let it cook for about half an hour while stirring occasionally until the cornmeal thickens.
- Once thickened, pour the mixture into a greased and flat bottomed dish. Let the mixture rest for 2 hours.
- Now cut the corn meal into squares and begin to fry them in a deep frying pan on high heat with vegetable oil.
- Fry them a couple at a time until they are golden brown and then once they are done place them on a platter with papers towels to dry.
- Once they are all done, let them cool for 5 minutes and serve immediately.
Best i had in a long time. We had it on a day jol with pork kiaangs.
6 months ago, Tuesday, May 23, 2023
I ate this last year in Madeira at Pingo Doce (foodcorner) it was very delicious! Today iam trying to make it at ny home in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. Wish me luck
6 months ago, Friday, May 12, 2023
Discovered this in a mall town in South Africa. Restaurant Manny’s in Bot Rivier. Totally awesome. Maize meal is a staple diet for most Africans. But this Portuguese twist is fabulous!!
8 months ago, Saturday, April 8, 2023
Mariana van der Walt
I ate it at Manny's in Botriver. Very tasty and definitely going to try it when we are having our next barbeque.
7 months ago, Tuesday, April 25, 2023
You might also like:
These 5 affordable last minute kitchen gift ideas are available on both Amazon US and Amazon Canada, you will be redirected to whichever country you are from when clicking on a item.
How to make Angela's caldo verde, often described as Portugal's national soup, is a hearty and comforting dish deeply rooted in the country's culinary heritage.
Top 5 light but delicious Portuguese dessert recipes was put together by Michael Costa.