Portuguese Chicken with Wine Sauce Recipe
Posted in: Poultry
Sep 19, 2016
4 out of 5 with 3 ratings
1 whole chicken (about 2 lbs)150 grams presunto, cubed4 large ripe tomatoes (skinned and seeded)10-12 shallots70 grams of butter in piecesOlive oil2 tbl mustard4 cloves garlic (bruised)100ml port100ml brandy150ml white wine4 bay leavessalt and pepper to tastePaprika4 tbl fresh parsleyNote: If tomatoes are not in season, it is best to use quality canned tomatoes.
Get Portuguese ingredients & stuff
This site uses US measurements.
- Begin by dividing the chicken into 8 pieces and preheating the oven to 430F.
- Heat a little olive oil and brown the chicken on both sides until crisp.
- In the mean time, chop up the tomatoes, shallots and butter.
- Place the tomatoes in the bottom of a dutch oven or lidded earthenware dish, followed by half of the shallots, half of the presunto, bruised garlic and bay leafs.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dijon, port, brandy, white wine, and parsley and season with salt, pepper and paprika to taste.
- Once the chicken is seared, place the pieces in a single layer in your dish, followed by the butter and the remaining shallots and presunto.
- Pour the liquid mixture over everything, cover and place in the oven for 90 minutes, at which point the chicken should be cooked through.
- Remove the lid from the dish and cook for another 15-30 minutes until the chicken skin is browned and the top layer of onions crisp.
- Serve family style from the dish in which everything was cooked.