Portuguese Fig Jam Recipe
Posted in: Breakfast / Brunch
Sep 21, 2016
5 out of 5 with 4 ratings
1 lemon¾ cup granulated sugar2 tablespoons honey1½ tablespoon lemon juice2 sprigs thyme1 pound ripe fresh Figs, stemmed and quartered
Get food & other stuff
This site uses US measurements.
- For a very thick jam (as shown) simmer for the full 50 minutes. For a looser jam, simmer only for 40 minutes.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove strips of rind from lemon, being careful not to include the white pith as you peel the strips.
- Place lemon rind strips and all other ingredients into a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stir to combine.
- Bring contents in the saucepan to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 40-50 minutes (*see note above) or until mixture thickens, continuing to stir frequently so the mixture doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Discard thyme stems and lemon peel. Pulse jam with an immersion blender to chop up the fig skins if desired.
- Pour into an 8-ounce jelly jar. Keep refrigerated for up to one month.