Learn how to make Portuguese style roast turkey.
|Preparation time||30 min|
|Ready In||2 h 55 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
1 Turkey1 lemon1 large onion1 large celery stalk3 large sprigs of parsley1 large carrot1/4 cup of Olive Oil1 tsp Garlic powder1 tbsp paprika2 tbsp butter1/2 cup of vinho verde or any white wine2 tablespoons of Salt Get Portuguese ingredients
- Remove packaging. Remove the neck and giblets from both cavities of the turkey.
- Wash the turkey, the neck and giblets in very cold water.
- Rub the inside and outside of the turkey evenly with the salt.
- Slice the lemon in half and rub the inside and outside of the turkey with the lemon half squeezing the juice as you rub.
- Place the used lemon halves inside the cavity.
- Place the butter underneath the turkey skin over the breast
- Sprinkle the paprika, pepper and garlic powder evenly over the turkey leaving a small amount to marinate the cavity.
- Place the neck and gizzards inside the turkey.
- Add the wine and remaining spices into the cavity to marinate.
- Place the celery, onion and carrot inside the cavity.
- Drizzle and rub the Olive oil over the Turkey.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight or up to 48 hours before cooking.
- Take the turkey out of the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- *Remove the neck and gizzards from the cavity and save in the refrigerator until you are ready to make stock for the turkey stuffing.
- Cook the turkey with the remaining vegetables inside the cavity to add flavor.
- My roaster is over 50 years old and it makes a perfect turkey every time!
- Cook in Roasting pan, or cover with heavy aluminum foil. An average turkey of about 15 pounds will take about 3 hours to cook at 350F.
I made your turkey recipe, it was delicious 😋 thank you so much for sharing.
1 year ago, Thursday, November 24, 2022
You might also like:
The traditional grape stomping in the Douro region, this is how we used to do it.
Visiting the Azores, Portugal ? We complete our 2018 Guide to the Azores with this list of the top 10 things to do in the Azores, as well as some general travel tips.
Watch this step by step video from Nancy to learn how to make moist apple cinnamon cake (bolo de maçã com canela úmido).