Portuguese Sweet Bread French Toast Recipe
Posted in: Breakfast / Brunch
Oct 20, 2016
4 out of 5 with 18 ratings
4 large eggs1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice1 cup whole milk1 tablespoon orange zest1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract2 teaspoons granulated sugar8 slices Portuguese sweet bread1/8 teaspoon salt8 teaspoons unsalted butterConfectioners sugar
Get food & other stuff
This site uses US measurements.
- Preheat oven to 100°C or 200°F.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk well. Add milk, orange juice, orange zest, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, and salt, and whisk until well combined. Quickly, dip each bread slice into the egg mixture in the bowl, turning it to coat both sides. Transfer the coated bread slices to a plate while you finish coating the remaining slices.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat until it's hot, about 3 to 5 minutes. Melt 1 teaspoon of the butter in the skillet, then add a slice of coated bread, and cook until the bread is golden brown and crusted on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Turn them a plastic turner and cook until the second side is golden, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer the French toast from the skillet to a baking sheet. Cover lightly with aluminum foil and place them in the oven to keep warm while you cook the other slices.
- Repeat with the remaining slices, be sure to add 1 teaspoon of butter to the pan before every slice.
- Sprinkle the French toast with confectioners’ sugar and serve.