This Portuguese beans and meat stew recipe is one of the most traditional and ancient dishes in Portuguese gastronomy, and is absolutely delicious.
|Preparation time||15 min|
|Cooking Time||1 h 15 min|
|Ready In||1 h 30 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
1 lb of white beans2 bay leaves1 tablespoon of olive oil3/4 lb of ribs1 farinheira1 linguiça sausage1/4 lb of bacon1 onion2 carrots (diced)4 tablespoons of margarine2 tomatoes (diced)1 garlic clove1 branch of parsleySalt and pepper (to taste) Get Portuguese ingredients
- Soak the beans in cold water for about 6 hours.
- Place the beans in a cooking pot, cover them with water, add the olive oil and one bay leave. Season with salt (to taste) and boil for about an hour.
- On a different pot, boil the ribs, the sausage, the farinheira, the bacon and the carrots.
- On another cooking pan with some margarine, add the chopped onion, chopped garlic, parsley, the tomatoes, the other bay leaf and let everything sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the meats and the carrots and allow all the ingredients to cook for a while.
- Drain the beans and add them to the stew, also add a cup of the water or more used to boil the meats.
- Season with salt and pepper and let it cook for a few more minutes.
- Serve it with white rice and enjoy it with a glass of Portuguese red wine.
You might also like:
The best seafood restaurant in Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal is Mercado do Peixe, it is located at Av. Infante D. Henrique, nº 15, Ponta Delgada.
On this video, Tia Maria from Tia Maria's Blog, shows you hot to make a delicious Portuguese kale soup (sopa de couve com chouriço).
Michael Santos shows you how to make and gives you a little history on Portuguese tempura (peixinhos da horta) with a few twists.