Portuguese Christmas egg custard is very similar to creme brulee, but its cooked on the stove top, not baked, it’s very rich, creamy and light.
5 tablespoons of sugar2 tablespoons of corn starch2 cups whole milk3 egg yolks1/2 stick of cinnamon1 slice lemon peelGet Portuguese ingredients & stuff
- In a medium sized bowl, beat eggs and the milk with a whisk until well incorporated.
- Add the cornflour and sugar and mix very well.
- Add the lemon peel, cinnamon stick and heat in a saucepan on low to medium heat stirring continuously.
- Do not let the custard boil. If it begins to boil remove from heat to cool down while you keep stirring.
- The custard should be thick enough to coat the spoon like pudding.
- Pour into a serving platter or individual ramekins and let it cool to room temperature.
- Store in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
- When the custard has cooled, sprinkle some sugar on top and brown it in the oven broiler or with a cooking torch.
Please Leave a Comment
You might also like
This Tia Maria recipe for Portuguese stuffing takes a little while to prepare but it is worth it.
|Level of Difficulty||Moderate|
This Portuguese butter and vanilla cookies recipe (receita de bolachas de manteiga e baunilha) is quick to make and a great treat for the holidays.
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|