A spicy Portuguese classic served with a side slaw made of cabbage, white onion and cucumbers.
|Preparation time||20 min|
|Cooking Time||15 min|
|Ready In||35 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
For Piri Piri Chicken:4 to 8 fresh hot chilis, depending on how hot you want it5 garlic cloves2½ teaspoons kosher salt¼ cup red wine vinegar⅔ cup olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon for grilling1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1½-inch chunksBamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least 1 hour, or metal skewersFor Cabbage and Cucumber Slaw¼ small head green cabbage, very thinly sliced (about 2½ cups)¼ cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced on an angle (about ¾ cup)¼ white onion, very thinly sliced (about ¼ cup)¼ cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced2 tablespoons olive oil2 tablespoons fresh lime juice1 tablespoon finely grated lime zestKosher salt, to tasteGrilled flatbreads Get Portuguese ingredients
- For the piri piri chicken: In a food processor, combine chiles, garlic, vinegar and salt. Pulse until everything is finely minced. With the machine running, add the ⅔ cup of olive oil and pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken with ⅔ cup of the piri piri mixture to coat. Cover the bowl and chill for about 30 minutes or preferably overnight. Cover and chill the remaining piri piri sauce.
- Prepare a grill for medium-hot heat or place a grill pan over medium-high heat. Thread 4 to 5 pieces of chicken onto each skewer.
- Using a pastry brush, coat the grill with the remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Grill the chicken, turning and basting often with the remaining ⅓ cup of sauce, until the chicken is cooked through and charred in spots, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the cabbage and cucumber slaw: In a large mixing bowl, toss the cabbage, cucumber, onion, mint, olive oil, lime juice and zest. Season with salt.
- To serve, divide the chicken skewers, slaw and flatbreads among 4 plates. Serve the remaining piri piri sauce alongside for dipping.
There are no comments for this recipe.
You might also like:
Azores - an extremely green and isolated place, with a unique climate and ecstatic scenery. In this episode we will travel to San Miguel, Faial, Flores Islands and see what the largest endemic collection of plants...
Watch the video for step by step instructions and ingredients for Portuguese French toast, fatias douradas.
How to make homemade papo-secos with DIYwithnancyg, a type of traditional Portuguese bread roll. It is commonly found in Portugal and is a popular choice for sandwiches.