Portuguese Spinach & Chickpea Soup Recipe
Posted in: SoupsTue, Dec 20, 2016
5 out of 5 with 4 ratings
Views: 7140 - Comments 0
4 cups of chickpeas3 large garlic cloves (chopped)3 large yellow onions (peeled & chopped) 5 tablespoons of olive oil2 potatoes (peeled & chopped)2 tablespoons of fresh parsley (minced)2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro (minced)1 teaspoon of dried marjoram (crumbled)4 cups of chicken broth3⁄4 lb spinach (chopped)2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice1 1⁄2 teaspoons of coarse salt1⁄4 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper Get Portuguese ingredients
- Stir fry the garlic and onions in 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan until translucent.
- Add the potatoes and stir fry for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the herbs and allow them to melow over low heat for about 12 minutes.
- Add the broth, raise the heat and bring the soup to a gentle simmer, add the chickpeas, cover and cook slowly for about one hour or until everything is cooked.
- If you like your soup to have texture, ladle out a cup or so of chick peas; if you prefer it mostly smooth, don't.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until it is as smooth as you like.
- Add in the spinach, the reserved chickpeas(if you reserved them) and simmer twenty to thirty minutes--until the flavors all blend.
- Now stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste and serve, hot, with crusty bread.
Recipe & Photo Credit: Chef Kate, food.com