Portuguese Mussels & Shrimp with Chouriço Recipe
Posted in: Seafood RecipesSat, Jan 7, 2017
4 out of 5 with 6 ratings
Views: 17900 - Comments 0
2 tablespoons of olive oil, plus a little more for garnishing8 oz of spicy chouriço, chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced1 medium yellow onion, chopped1 small red pepper, diced1 small green pepper, diced1/2 teaspoon of red chili flakesJuice and zest strips of one lemon1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika2 tablespoons of tomato paste1 cup of Vinho Verde wine or any dry white wineSea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste1 pound of tiger shrimp, peeled and deveined2 pounds mussels, debearded, scrubbed2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley Get Portuguese ingredients
- In a large heavy pot over medium high heat, add the oil and heat for about 1 minute. Add the chourico and cook it until it is browned. Remove the chourico into a bowl and reserve. Do not clean out the pot.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions, red peppers and green peppers. Saute until the onions have softened, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, chili flakes and smoked paprika. Cook for 1 minute. Add the lemon juice and lemon strips. Stir to combine.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring until it begins to darken, about 2 minutes. Add the wine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a medium. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add shrimp and mussels to the pot and give it a quick stir. Cover and cook until the mussels open, about 8 minutes. Shake the pot occasionally but don't uncover. Discard any mussels that haven't open and stir in half of the reserved chourico and parsley.
- Ladle mussels and shrimp into a bowl and top with remaining chourico and parsley.
- Drizzle with a little more olive oil and serve with lots of crusty bread to soak up the delicious broth.
Recipe & Photo Credit: myportuguesekitchen.com