Portuguese Red Pepper Sauce Recipe
Posted in: Sides
Jan 23, 2017
4 out of 5 with 12 ratings
8 large red bell peppers2 tablespoons of coarse salt3 cloves of garlic¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil¼ cup of Vinho Tinto (full bodied dry red wine) Get Portuguese ingredients & stuff This site uses US measurements.
- Wash the peppers and remove the stems, seeds and white ribbing.
- Cut the peppers into about 1 inch thick strips.
- Place a layer of pepper strips into the bottom of a bowl and generously sprinkle with salt. Repeat with the rest of the pepper strips, salting in between each layer. Cover tightly and leave out at room temperature for at least 12 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 325ºF.
- Drain the peppers of any excess liquid. Put the peppers into a baking dish or tray to slowly roast for 2 hours in the oven.
- Remove the peppers and allow them to cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, remove the outside skin from the peppers.
- Place the peeled pepper strips and peeled garlic cloves into a food processor or blender.
- Blend the peppers for 30 seconds to make a thick paste, add in half the olive oil and Vinho Tinto and then blend again for another 30 seconds. Add the rest of the oil and Portuguese red wine to the pepper paste and blend for another minute or until smooth.
- Place in a sealed jar and refrigerate.