Portuguese Pickled Onions Recipe
Posted in: Sides
Jan 28, 2017
3 out of 5 with 10 ratings
20 (smaller) onions2 cups of wine vinegar2 cups of water2 tablespoons of salt1/5 cup of olive oil2 cloves of garlic3 bay leaves1 tablespoon of mustard seeds1 tablespoon of oregano1 tablespoon black pepper (whole, without grinding)1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes1 big jar with a lidGet these ingredients now
- Peel all the onions and rinse them well.
- In a saucepan, prepare the seasoning. Boil all ingredients (vinegar, water, olive oil, salt, garlic, bay leaves and spices) together.
- Place onions in a big jar and add the boiling seasoning over the onions.
- Let cool slightly and close the lid.
- Store in the refrigerator for at least 3 weeks.
- The longer you let the onions preserve, the better the onions will taste.