Portuguese Sponge Cake Recipe
Posted in: Cakes / Cheesecakes
Jul 3, 2017
4 out of 5 with 32 ratings
4 whole eggs8 egg yolks1 and 1/4 cups of sugar1 and ½ cups of flour
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (176C).
- Cut six rectangles, 4×8 inches, of parchment paper. Butter a 10inch bunt pan liberally before starting to line it with the parchment paper in the following fashion: Place a piece of paper at a diagonal angle so that a corner points up on the center tube and the other end corner points up around the outside of the pan, careful to make it as smooth, but pleat it if necessary. Slightly overlap the first paper with another in the same fashion, pleating it if necessary. Repeat with the rest of the parchment paper until the entire pan has been lined.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and separated egg yolks with an electric mixer on high for 1 minute. Add the sugar to the bowl slowly, beating as you go. Once the sugar has all been added, turn the mixer on high and beat for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add in the flour slowly, beating continuously until half of the flour has been added. Stop beating the batter and scrape down the sides. Resume adding the flour to the batter until it has all been incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and tap it lightly on the counter to even it out and remove bubbles.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 40 minutes or until the cake is lightly browned and spongy to the touch.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool to room temperature, top side up on a cake rack. Using a butter knife between the parchment paper and the pan, slide it around the cake to help release it. Carefully tug on the parchment paper corners to help remove the cake.
- Serve at room temperature, with a cup of strong Portuguese espresso and a bit of fresh juicy fruits!
You Might Also Like These