Portuguese Sardine Stew Recipe
Posted in: Soups / Stews
Aug 26, 2017
4 out of 5 with 4 ratings
1 kg of sardines1 large onion (chopped)4 cloves of garlic (sliced)2 bay leaves1 peri peri pepper3 very ripe tomatoes (skinned and chopped)1 teaspoon of sweet chili1/2 of a red pepper (chopped)200 ml of white wine1 bunch of parsley (chopped)150 ml of olive oilOregano (to taste)Mint leaves (to taste)Salt (to taste)White pepper (to taste)
- Clean the scales, remove the guts and heads of the sardines, place them in a bowl with coarse salt and let it sit for about 2 hours.
- In a pot, place the olive oil and the chopped onion, add the sardines on top (after rinsing them in cold water). Add the tomatoes, the garlic, bay leaves, peri-peri pepper, parsley, mint leaves, oregano, sweet chilli and red pepper.
- Drizzle with the white wine.
- Season with salt and white pepper.
- Bring to a boil over low heat.
- When cooked, uncover the pan and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- Serve it hot accompanied with boiled potatoes.
You Might Also Like These