Portuguese Orange Cake Recipe
|Preparation time||10 min|
|Cooking Time||40 min|
|Ready In||50 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
Portuguese orange cake, or bolo de laranja in Portuguese, is a traditional cake from Portugal that is made with fresh orange juice and zest. It's a simple, rustic cake that's perfect for serving as a dessert or snack.
The cake typically has a moist and tender crumb, with a light citrus flavor that comes from the use of fresh orange juice and zest. The cake is often topped with a simple glaze made with orange juice and powdered sugar, which adds a bit of sweetness and extra citrus flavor.
While there are many variations of Portuguese orange cake, the basic recipe typically includes flour, sugar, eggs, baking powder, salt, vegetable oil, and fresh orange juice and zest. Some recipes also include yogurt or milk, which helps to keep the cake moist and tender.
Portuguese orange cake is often served with a cup of coffee or tea, and it's a popular dessert during holidays and celebrations in Portugal. It's a simple yet delicious cake that's easy to make and perfect for any occasion.
- In a large bowl, add the butter and sugar and mix until the sugar dissolves .
- Add the egg yolks, stirring well, than add the orange juice and zest.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and add to the previous preparation.
- Beat the egg whites until it forms peaks and mix in carefully.
- Put in a greased and dusted with flour cake pan, and bake at 180C / 355F for about 40 minutes.
- Mix the juice of the 2 oranges with the 50 grams of sugar until the sugar dissolves completely and add it over the cake when the cake is cool.
Member since Oct 1, 2015