Portuguese Spikes of Corn Cookies Recipe
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Posted in: Cookies
Oct 2, 2015
3 out of 5 with 18 ratings
3 1⁄4 cups yellow corn flour3 cups all-purpose flour2 cups sugar3 large eggs, room temperature1 teaspoon cinnamon1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg1 teaspoon salt2 teaspoons baking powder1⁄2 lb butter, room temperature1⁄2 lb lard or vegetable shortening, room temperature1 lemon rindMilk (if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 350°F.
- Beat all of the ingredients together except for the two flours.
- When well beaten, add all of the flour and mix until well blended, the dough should be firm enough to hold its shape when pressed (you can adjust firmness by adding either milk or flour, a little at a time).
- Using a cookie press with a star tip, pipe a rope of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Cut the rope into 5 to 6 inch lengths, and then shape into an S (alternatively, you can make simple drop cookies).
- Bake for about 15 to 17 minutes until the cookies are light colored, then remove them from the oven, pile all of them on sheet and return to a 100°C or 200°F oven for 25 minutes to add crispiness.
You Might Also Like These