Azorean Sweet Bread Recipe
Posted in: Breads / Rolls
Nov 3, 2017
3 out of 5 with 167 ratings
3 packages of active dry yeast2 cups of milk2 cups of sugar1/2 cup of shortening (you can use crisco, butter, or vegetable oil)1/2 cup of butter1/2 cup of lukewarm water1/2 teaspoon of salt10 cups of flour8 eggsFor the Egg Wash:1 egg1 teaspoon of water
- Dissolve the active dry yeast in water with half teaspoon of sugar and let rise to double in size.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together, melt the butter and shortening in milk and cool to lukewarm.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together.
- Mix all the ingredients together and knead until the dough lifting in the bowl, let it rise for about 6 to 8 hours.
- Punch down, deflating the dough, form individual breads and put them in buttered and flour dusted pans (any shape or size will do).
- The dough should fill only half of each pan, so let it rise until the dough doubles in size, filling the pan.
- For the egg wash, mix the egg with the teaspoon of water and brush the top of each bread.
- Bake at 160°C or 325°F for 30 to 40 minutes (let it bake longer if the loaves are larger), the bread should be golden brown.