Azorean Sweet Bread Recipe
- Dissolve the yeast in water and let rise to double in size.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together, melt the butter and shortening in milk and cool to lukewarm.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together.
- Mix all the ingredients together and knead until the dough lifting in the bowl, let it rise for about 6 to 8 hours.
- Punch down, deflating the dough, form individual breads and put them in buttered and flour dusted pans (any shape or size will do).
- The dough should fill only half of each pan, so let it rise until the dough doubles in size, filling the pan.
- For the egg wash, mix the egg with the teaspoon of water and brush the top of each bread.
- Bake at 160°C or 325°F for 30 to 40 minutes (let it bake longer if the loaves are larger), the bread should be golden brown.
You Might Also Like These