Portuguese Custard Tarts Recipe
Posted in: Snacks
Nov 15, 2017
3 out of 5 with 469 ratings
Filling:1/2 cup of water1 and 1/2 cups of sugar2 tablespoons of flour 2 cups of milk7 egg yolks 2 eggs1 lemon peel Pastry:3 and 1/2 cups of flour (400gr)1 and 1/4 cups of water1 and 1/2 cups of butter1 pinch of salt
Get Portuguese food & other stuff
This site uses US measurements.
- Mix all the ingredients (except for the butter) the butter is added later.
- Make a ball of dough, cut it in the shape of a cross on top, cover and let it stand 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the butter on parchment paper and beat it with a rolling pin so that it has the same touch consistency as the dough.
- After 10 minutes, stretch the dough as much as you can with a rolling pin. Place the butter in the center and fold the dough over the butter.
- Stretch the dough again and fold it in 3.
- Turn it over and repeat the stretching process.
- At the end, brush the dough with water and form a roll where you will cut pieces of the dough about 1cm each and put them in the tart forms, spreading it through the center until they cover each cup.
- Preheat the oven to 215ºC or 425ºF.
- Boil the milk with the lemon peel.
- Remove a little of the milk and dissolve the flour.
- Beat the yolks and the whole eggs without foaming it.
- Then add the boiled milk and the flour dissolved in milk (make sure to remove the lemon peel).
- In a pan put the sugar and water, bring to a boil and then add to the previous preparation and stir.
- Fill the cups up 3/4 of the way (if you fill them too much, it will spill over and not cook properly).
- Bake for 30 minutes at 215ºC or 425ºF.
- Unmold the tarts when you remove them from the oven.