Portuguese Caldo Verde Soup Recipe
Posted in: Soups / Stews
Oct 2, 2015
3 out of 5 with 12 ratings
6 large potatoes, peeled and cubed4 cups low sodium chicken broth1 large spicy chouriço sausage6 cups cold water2 garlic cloves1 large onion, quartered1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper1 tablespoon olive oil1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder1⁄2 teaspoon paprika1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder6 large kale leaves or 4 -6 cups of shredded kale Get Portuguese ingredients & stuff This site uses US measurements.
- Remove the hard stalk from the kale and set aside. Cut the leaves lengthwise into several strips. Stack the strips then cut into very thin strips.
- In a large deep pot, add the whole sausage, potatoes, kale stalks, onion, garlic, water, broth, oil and seasonings. Cook on medium heat until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the sausage from the broth and cut into thin slices then set aside. Remove the kale stocks, then discard.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth and lump free.
- Add the kale and sausage slices to the soup, and cook on medium until the kale is tender. Adjust seasoning if necessary.