Gorete's Portuguese Caldo Verde Soup Recipe
Posted in: SoupsFri, Oct 2, 2015
3 out of 5 with 23 ratings
Views: 22573 - Comments 0
This a creamy Portuguese soup that uses spicy chouriço and collard greens with a potato base.
|Preparation time||15 min|
|Cooking Time||1 h 15 min|
|Ready In||1 h 30 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
6 large potatoes, peeled and cubed4 cups low sodium chicken broth1 large spicy chouriço sausage6 cups cold water2 garlic cloves1 large onion, quartered1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper1 tablespoon olive oil1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder1⁄2 teaspoon paprika1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder6 large kale leaves or 4 -6 cups of shredded collard greens or kale Get Portuguese ingredients
- Remove the hard stalk from the collard greens or kale and set aside. Cut the leaves lengthwise into several strips. Stack the strips then cut into very thin strips.
- In a large deep pot, add the whole sausage, potatoes, collard greens or kale stalks, onion, garlic, water, broth, oil and seasonings. Cook on medium heat until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the sausage from the broth and cut into thin slices then set aside. Remove the kale stocks, then discard.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth and lump free.
- Add the kale and sausage slices to the soup, and cook on medium until the collard greens or kale is tender. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
Recipe & Photo Credit: Chef Gorete, Food.com
Member since Oct 1, 2015