Ana's Portuguese Malassadas (Donuts) Recipe
Posted in: Dessert RecipesTue, Dec 5, 2017
5 out of 5 with 158 ratings
- In a pan over medium low heat, add the milk, crisco and the butter and warm it up a little (or until the butter melts).
- In a large bowl, add the sugar, eggs and lemon zest, salt and beat for a minute then add the warm milk and beat again.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of warm water to the yeast and let the yeast rise.
- Add the flour and the yeast to the large bowl, mix and knead very well (about 15 minutes) and cover the bowl well.
- Let it rise until doubled the size in a warm place (at least 3 hours).
- Grease a working space and place medium sized balls of the dough on it.
- Heat a pan with a good ammount of oil (about 2 inches).
- When the oil is hot, strech out each ball of dough and lay it in the oil.
- When golden brown, remove it from the oil and place it in paper towels.
- When they are cold, sprinkle them with sugar and cinnamon.
Comments(Leave a comment if you have tried this recipe or have a question.)
Maegan - Friday, October 15, 2021, 2 Weeks ago
Do you cover it while you let it rise ? My nan used to cover hers with a damp cloth
Peggy Hill - Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 2 Months ago
I’m a beginner cook so I follow a recipe he’s implicitly. I said aside that 1 teaspoon of salt, but the directions never said when to add it. After I needed the dough and started to clean up I noticed the salt. When is this supposed to go in?