This Portuguese Donuts (Malassadas) recipe is great, I have eaten these on different occasions and it's one of the best I have tried.
3 and 1/4 lbs of all purpose flour (11 and 3/4 cups)1 tablespoon of Crisco (vegetable shortening)6 eggs1 teaspoon of salt1 cup of sugar1/2 stick of butter1 and 1/2 tablespoons of active dry yeast1 lemon, zest2 cups of milk* Get Portuguese ingredients & stuff
- In a pan over medium low heat, add the milk, crisco and the butter and warm it up a little (or until the butter melts).
- In a large bowl, add the sugar, eggs and lemon zest, salt and beat for a minute then add the warm milk and beat again.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of warm water to the yeast and let the yeast rise.
- Add the flour and the yeast to the large bowl, mix and knead very well (about 15 minutes) and cover the bowl well.
- Let it rise until doubled the size in a warm place (at least 3 hours).
- Grease a working space and place medium sized balls of the dough on it.
- Heat a pan with a good ammount of oil (about 2 inches).
- When the oil is hot, strech out each ball of dough and lay it in the oil.
- When golden brown, remove it from the oil and place it in paper towels.
- When they are cold, sprinkle them with sugar and cinnamon.
I didn't like them they were dry and looked nothing like yours. Also to much lemon . yours were yellow inside and looked moist
3 Months ago, Monday, March 7, 2022