Ana's Portuguese Malassadas (Donuts) Recipe
Posted in: Desserts
Dec 4, 2017
3 out of 5 with 56 ratings
3 and 1/4 lbs of all purpose flour1 tablespoon of Crisco (vegetable shortening)6 eggs1 teaspoon of salt1 cup of sugar1/2 stick of butter1 and 1/2 tablespoons of active dry yeast1 lemon, zest2 cups of milk
Get groceries & other stuff
This site uses US measurements.
- In a pan over medium low heat, add the milk, crisco and the butter and warm it up a little (or until the butter melts).
- In a large bowl, add the sugar, eggs and lemon zest, beat for a minute then add the warm milk and beat again.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of warm water to the yeast and let the yeast rise.
- Add the flour and the yeast to the large bowl, mix and knead very well (about 15 minutes) and cover the bowl well.
- Let it rise until doubled the size in a warm place (at least 3 hours).
- Grease a working space and place medium sized balls of the dough on it.
- Heat a pan with a good ammount of oil (about 2 inches).
- When the oil is hot, strech out each ball of dough and lay it in the oil.
- When golden brown, remove it from the oil and place it in paper towels.
- When they are cold, sprinkle them with sugar and cinnamon.