Portuguese Caramel Cake Recipe
Posted in: Cakes / Cheesecakes
Tue, Dec 5, 2017, 09:23, 2 Weeks ago
0 out of 5 with ratings
3/4 cup of sugar3/4 cup of heavy cream3/4 cup of milk3/4 cup of butter at room temperature6 large eggs1 cup of sugar1 cup of unleavened flour1 tablespoon of baking powder5 tablespoons of grated dry coconut1 high cake form, previously greased with butter and dusted with flourTopping:1 can of cooked condensed milk, about 1 3/4 cups2 to 3 tablespoons of instant coffee3 tablespoons of heavy creamCoffee beans to decorate
- On a small pan, add about 1/4 cup of water and the 3/4 cup of sugar.
- Stir and boil until it reaches the caramel point.
- When the caramel is very dark, turn off the heat.
- Carefully add the cream, stir and finally add the milk and let it cool for about 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, put the butter (chopped into pieces) and the 1 cup of sugar and beat until it becomes very creamy.
- While beating, seperate the egg yolks from the whites and add the egg yolks one by one to the cream.
- Gradually and alternately, add the caramel, grated coconut, flour and baking powder and beat until everything is well mixed.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites and carefully add them to the cake dough and put the dough in the cake form.
- Preheat oven to 165ºC and bake for 1 hour.
For the topping:
- Put the condensed milk and coffee in a bowl and beat at full speed for 2 minutes.
- After that, add the 3 tablespoons of cream and beat a little more until the cream is homogeneous.
- Store the cream in the refrigerator.
- After 1 hour, make sure the cake is cooked with a toothpick and remove it.
- Unmold and allow it to cool.
- Once the cake is cold, cover it with the topping and decorate to taste with the coffee beans.