This Portuguese bean soup recipe (receita de sopa de feijao) is very nutritious and very quick to make.
|Preparation time||10 min|
|Cooking Time||25 min|
|Ready In||35 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
4 cans or one bag of Red Kidney Beans (Boil from the bag or use canned; keep in mind that boiling them will create a richer soup since the beans do not fall apart. If boiling, let it soak in water the night before.)5 potatoes2 lbs of sugar Pumpkin (or canned if not in season)3 turnips3 carrotsKale or cabbage (to taste)Leeks (to taste)4 garlic clovesMint (to taste) Get Portuguese ingredients
- Add half of the beans to a large pot with water and salt (set the other half aside for later).
- Slice the potatoes and add to the pot, along with two carrots and the pumpkin quartered, diced turnips, leeks and whole garlic cloves.
- Boil and when all is cooked, reduce the heat to low and puree.
- Add the third carrot diced, the rest of the beans, and let cook for 10 more minutes on low heat and stirring.
- Add the kale/cabbage and cook for another 10 minutes on low, stirring (add more water if too thick).
- Let it simmer for a few minutes and finish with a string of olive oil and torn mint.
There are no comments for this recipe.
You might also like:
On this video, Pedro Ramos from Cooking Like Ramos shows you how to make an easy Portuguese seafood rice (arroz de marisco).
Gordon is in Portugal this week on Uncharted, exploring all the amazing things this country has to offer including an incredible pig called Porco Preto (Black Iberian).
When is the best time to visit Portugal? If you're interested in travelling to Portugal, but want to learn more about the seasons, just watch this video.