Serve these Portuguese cod dreams (sonhos de bacalhau) with the mayonnaise dip for a delicious appetizer.
|Preparation time||20 min|
|Cooking Time||35 min|
|Ready In||55 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
1 salt cod loin (about half lb), presoaked in water1/4 cup of butter1 lemon peelHalf cup of milk1 cup of flour3 to 4 large eggs4 tablespoons of chopped onion1 clove of garlic, mincedChopped parsley (to taste)Salt (to taste)Pepper (to taste)Oil for fryingFor the dip:2 tablespoons of mayonnaise2 ounces of pitted black olivesSliced parsley (to taste)1 clove of garlic Get Portuguese ingredients
- In a pot with boiling water, cook the cod for 10 minutes.
- After that time, remove the cod to a dish and keep 1/2 cup of the water you cooked the cod in.
- Once cold, remove the skin and bones from the cod and shred it.
- In a saucepan, bring the milk to a boil, the half cup of water you cooked the cod in, the lemon peel, the butter and some salt.
- Once the butter is melted, remove the lemon peel, stir in the flour and stir very well.
- When the dough is firm enough to turn into a ball, remove it and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Put the dough in a bowl, add 1 egg and beat.
- While beating, add the remaining eggs one by one.
- If the dough is very dry, add the 4th egg.
- Once the dough is good, add the onion, garlic, parsley and cod.
- Finally, season with a little pepper and mix everything well into the dough.
- Remove spoonfuls of the dough and fry in hot oil.
- The frying takes some time as these will open and turn to fry all sides equally.
- Once the dreams are fried, remove them from the oil and place them on a plate with absorbent paper.
For the dip:
- On a chopper, place the garlic, parsley and olives.
- Chop everything until it is finely chopped.
- Mix the preparation very well with the mayonnaise.
- Serve the cod dreams as an appetizer, accompanied with the mayonnaise.
You might also like:
How this 183 year old Portuguese café in Belem, Portugal makes the famous and original custard tarts.
Thanksgiving Day, annual national holiday in the United States and Canada celebrating the harvest and other blessings of the past year.
This video shows you some great golden sand beaches in Portimão, Algarve.