Portuguese Cod Dreams Recipe
Posted in: Appetizers
Dec 15, 2017
3 out of 5 with 2 ratings
1 cod loin (about half lb), presoaked in water1/4 cup of butter1 lemon peelHalf cup of milk1 cup of flour3 to 4 large eggs4 tablespoons of chopped onion1 clove of garlic, mincedChopped parsley (to taste)Salt (to taste)Pepper (to taste)Oil for fryingFor the dip:2 tablespoons of mayonnaise2 ounces of pitted black olivesSliced parsley (to taste)1 clove of garlicGet these ingredients now
- In a pot with boiling water, cook the cod for 10 minutes.
- After that time, remove the cod to a dish and keep 1/2 cup of the water you cooked the cod in.
- Once cold, remove the skin and bones from the cod and shred it.
- In a saucepan, bring the milk to a boil, the half cup of water you cooked the cod in, the lemon peel, the butter and some salt.
- Once the butter is melted, remove the lemon peel, stir in the flour and stir very well.
- When the dough is firm enough to turn into a ball, remove it and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Put the dough in a bowl, add 1 egg and beat.
- While beating, add the remaining eggs one by one.
- If the dough is very dry, add the 4th egg.
- Once the dough is good, add the onion, garlic, parsley and cod.
- Finally, season with a little pepper and mix everything well into the dough.
- Remove spoonfuls of the dough and fry in hot oil.
- The frying takes some time as these will open and turn to fry all sides equally.
- Once the dreams are fried, remove them from the oil and place them on a plate with absorbent paper.
For the dip:
- On a chopper, place the garlic, parsley and olives.
- Chop everything until it is finely chopped.
- Mix the preparation very well with the mayonnaise.
- Serve the cod dreams as an appetizer, accompanied with the mayonnaise.