Portuguese Caramel Cheesecake Recipe
Posted in: Cake RecipesThu, Dec 21, 2017
5 out of 5 with 3 ratings
Base:1 and 1/2 packages of maria cookies3/4 cup of butter or margarineFilling:1 cup of cream cheese1/4 cup of sugar1 teaspoon of vanilla extract1 teaspoon of lemon juice3 tablespoons of hot water3/4 cup of heavy cream6 sheets of colorless gelatinCaramel:1 cup of sugar1/2 cup of water1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice3/4 cup of heavy cream * Get Portuguese ingredients & stuff
- Put the heavy cream in the freezer for about 20 minutes before using it.
- Let the cream cheese soften slightly, at room temperature, before using it.
- Mix the biscuits in a mixer until you get a fine powder, add the melted butter or margarine and knead well with your hands.
- Meanwhile, place the gelatin sheets in a little cold water, for about 10 minutes.
- Grease a removable rim form (23 cm in diameter) with margarine and line the bottom and side (about 2cm high) with the cookie dough you just made (pressing well with your hands and smooth the surface with a spoon).
- Place it in a preheated oven at 180ºC or 350ºF for about 10 minutes, remove from the oven and set aside.
- Using the mixer, beat the cream cheese until creamy, add the sugar and beat until you get a fluffy and light cream, then add the vanilla and beat a little more.
- Whisk the cream until firm then add the lemon juice and mix with the cheese preparation.
- Dissolve the gelatine sheets in 3 tablespoons of hot water and add them to the cream as well, wrapping them very well.
- Pour the preparation into the form with the cookie base and place it in the refrigerator for about 6 to 8 hours or until it solidifies.
- When the cheesecake is firm and solidified make the caramel cream.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar, lemon juice and water and heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Reduce the heat to the minimum and allow the syrup to boil until it is an amber color, at this moment remove the pan from the heat.
- In order not to burn the caramel I advise that you always have the heat on low as soon as the syrup has a golden color.
- After removing the caramel from the heat, add half of the cream and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add the remaining cream, stir well and heat over low heat to dissolve the caramel and sugar crystals that formed in the process.
- Cook until a sticky caramel forms, then remove from the heat and let the caramel cool slightly.
- Put the caramel, still warm, on the solidified cheesecake and smooth the surface so that bubbles do not form.
- Place it in the refrigerator for about a hour and serve fresh.
Like this Recipe? Leave a comment!