|Preparation time||15 min|
|Cooking Time||15 min|
|Ready In||30 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
Portuguese biscuits are a type of cookie or biscuit that are popular in Portugal and other parts of the world. They are known for their unique texture and rich flavor, which comes from a combination of ingredients such as sugar, butter, eggs, and flour.
One of the most popular types of Portuguese biscuits is called "Bolinhas de Amêndoa" or almond balls. These biscuits are made with ground almonds, sugar, egg whites, and lemon zest, which are rolled into small balls and baked until golden brown. They are often served during special occasions, such as weddings or religious celebrations.
Another popular type of Portuguese biscuit is called "Broas de Mel" or honey cookies. These biscuits are made with flour, sugar, honey, and spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg. They have a soft and chewy texture and are often served with a cup of tea or coffee.
Other types of Portuguese biscuits include "Bolachas de Manteiga" or butter cookies, "Queijadas" or cheese tarts, and "Pasteis de Nata" or custard tarts.
Overall, Portuguese biscuits are a delicious and traditional treat that are enjoyed by people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light in color and fluffy in texture.
- Add the eggs, lemon zest and juice and mix until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, stirring until combined.
- If dough seems dry or flakey, knead slightly.
- Scoop up ping-pong ball sized dollops of dough.
- Roll between your hands to form a 5-inch long "snake", even throughout the length.
- Brings ends of the "snake" together, slightly folding one end over the other, to form a donut-shape with a small hole in the middle.
- Place cookies 1-2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let rest on baking sheet 2 minutes before transferring to rack to cool.