Portuguese Biscuits (Biscoitos) Recipe
Posted in: Cookies
Oct 12, 2015
3 out of 5 with 486 ratings
1/2 lb butter, softened1 1/2 cups sugar5 eggs5 cups all-purpose flour4 teaspoons baking powderGrated zest of 1 lemon4 tablespoons of lemon juice
Get Portuguese food & other stuff
This site uses US measurements.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light in color and fluffy in texture.
- Add the eggs, lemon zest and juice and mix until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, stirring until combined.
- If dough seems dry or flakey, knead slightly.
- Scoop up ping-pong ball sized dollops of dough.
- Roll between your hands to form a 5-inch long "snake", even throughout the length.
- Brings ends of the "snake" together, slightly folding one end over the other, to form a donut-shape with a small hole in the middle.
- Place cookies 1-2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let rest on baking sheet 2 minutes before transferring to rack to cool.