Portuguese Rissóis de Camarão Recipe
|Preparation time||20 min|
|Cooking Time||45 min|
|Ready In||1 h 5 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
Rissóis de camarão are a popular Portuguese snack or appetizer made with a filling of shrimp (camarão) in a creamy béchamel sauce, enclosed in a dough that is shaped into small crescents, breaded and then deep-fried until crispy and golden brown.
To make rissóis de camarão, cooked and chopped shrimp is mixed with a béchamel sauce made with flour, butter, milk, and seasonings like salt, pepper, and nutmeg. This mixture is then refrigerated until it is firm enough to be shaped into crescent-shaped portions.
The dough for the rissóis is made by heating water, milk, butter, and salt in a pan until it comes to a boil. Then, flour is added all at once and stirred vigorously until a smooth dough is formed. The dough is then allowed to cool before being rolled out and cut into circles.
Each circle of dough is then filled with a portion of the shrimp and béchamel mixture and folded into a crescent shape. The filled crescents are then coated in egg and breadcrumbs before being deep-fried until crispy and golden brown.
Rissóis de camarão are typically served hot as a snack or appetizer, and can be accompanied by a variety of dipping sauces or served with a side salad.
- Bring the shrimp to a boil in about 1 liter of water and season with salt.
- Let it cook for about 3 minutes.
- Drain the shrimp and reserve/put aside the broth.
- Peel the shrimp and chop about 10 of them.
- In a pan, heat the margarine with the onion and stir until the onion begins to brown.
- Add the flour, stir well and add the shrimp broth and milk gradually, stirring constantly.
- Then add the tomato paste and chopped shrimp.
- Season with a few drops of lemon, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add the remaining shrimp and chopped parsley.
- When bubbling, remove and allow it to cool.
- In a pan, heat the water, margarine, lemon peel and salt.
- When it is boiling remove the lemon peel, add the flour, stir until it doesn't stick to the pan and remove from the heat.
- Place the dough on a workbench sprinkled with flour and let it cool slightly.
- After cooling slightly, use the dough roller to extend it thinly.
Making the Patties:
- In half of the dough, spread spoonfulls of the filling on top.
- Fold the dough over it and cut the patties with the help of a glass cup.
- Pass them through the beaten eggs and breadcrumbs and fry them in hot oil.
- Once fried, place them in paper towels.
Member since Oct 1, 2015