Portuguese Holy Ghost Soup Recipe
Posted in: Soup RecipesMon, Jan 15, 2018
4 out of 5 with 134 ratings
Views: 82862 - Comments 29
4 lb. beef pot roast, cut into 3 pieces6 garlic cloves1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion1/2 cup chopped parsley8 cups cold water1 teaspoon pepper1 tablespoon salt1 teaspoon allspice1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds2 bay leaves1 tablespoon wine vinegar1 head green cabbage, cored and quartered1 loaf Portuguese bread, cut into 1 inch slices15 whole fresh mint leaves Get Portuguese ingredients
- Combine all of the ingredients except the water, mint, cabbage, and bread in a large stock pot.
- Now cover the ingredients with the 8 cups water. Let it boil for about an hour until the meat is tender.
- Now add the cabbage to the pot.
- Let the pot simmer on medium to low heat for about half an hour until the cabbage has been cooked.
- Once the ingredients in the stock pot are done cooking, cover the bottom of large, shallow serving dish with the bread slices.
- Lay the mint leaves on top of the bread slices.
- Ladle the content from the stock pot equally on top of the bread and serve while hot.
Recipe & Photo Credit: easyportugueserecipes.com
Frederick Souza - 9 Months ago
It is much too bland. When we make Holy Ghost Soup for our feast, we have potatoes and chourico which helps flavor the broth. The boiled beef and potatoes are included so that it is not just bread and broth, but a truly hearty soup. Soup shanks are a great alternative to the roast.
[reply] (+1) (-0)
Octavio de Almeida - 10 Months ago
Meu velho, isso nao e sopa Portuguesa mas sim sopa labrega. que se cozinhava mais na Beira Alta e Tras-dos-Montes, mas agradeco imenso a recipe so falta ai o toycinho curado a sal e um chourico. Yum Yummy for my tummy.